Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

Now that project two is finally over, we get to dive right into project three! YAY US!!!! We're just the luckiest kids alive:) (can you feel the sarcasm?) Anyways, this blog will be long, so hold with me. But, it's about my upcoming project, me, my audience, the context, and the genre of my next project.

Author

  • My interests:
    • I want to do something funny, or social based. I think that economic wouldn't be interesting enough to me.
  • My major/minor:
    • I am a business major, I think I'm going to focus on Entrepreneurship and Marketing
  • Other subjects of interest:
    • I LOVE politics and I'm interested in science like chemistry and genetics
  • Academic/professional goals:
    • I just want to be a billionaire... however I get there sounds good to me
  • Social/political interests:
    • I like to keep up with current day politics like gay rights, human rights, abortion.. etc.
  • Civic, government, financial, etc. interests:
    • I think it's interesting to look at taxes and whether or not they should be raised, how money is distributed, the national debt, social class differences, and minimum wage and how it affects the economy.
  • Scientific/technological interests:
    • I love new tech, so new phones/computers. I think robots would be cook, but are they moral? I also think new scientific discoveries are cool like the new thing with gravity, water on mars, trying to find another planet with life. Also, Pluto is a planet. 
  • Hobbies:
    • I love anything outdoors, so hiking, camping, exploring, rafting etc. I also like movies and relaxing. I love to tan and swim and I think traveling is amazing. 
  • Skills:
    • I like to paint, but I'm not the best at it. I like sports, but I'm not great at those either. I don't play instruments. I guess I'm more of a nerd, I can get good grades and I am a hard worker.
  • Subjects I've read about:
    • I've read about a lot of stuff...this question is pretty vague. I know a lot about American and European History. I also am currently reading a new outlook on how life started based on Newton's Second Law. 
  • Life experiences:
    • As I said before, I really like to travel. I have been to around 30/50 states, I have gone to Mexico and Canada, parts of South America, many different islands, and parts of Europe. I've seen a lot of history in Europe, and I have talked to people there who explain their government to me and I can see how much it differs from ours. I have been culturally immersed into many different countries and I think that learning the different cultures and their views is important in your early life so you can learn to create your own ideas. 

  • Family Origin:
    • I was always brought up believing that the Golden Rule was to "treat people how you want to be treated."  I feel like my parents taught me to be responsible, and how to distinguish the difference between right and wrong. We didn't have a lot of rules, just to be honest and to not break curfew.
  • Social Class:
    • Up until I was around 12, my family was lower middle class. My dad worked paycheck to paycheck because he didn't want my mom to have to work. Then, my dad got to a great company and has since become extremely successful. I was put into a private school and we moved to a great neighborhood. I think that we live very comfortably and my parents have the money to travel and to make decisions that will help them live longer and happier. 
  • Where I was raised: 
    • I was raised in Littleton Colorado. It is pretty culturally white... but I have never felt like I wasn't diverse. I never really saw race as a kid, I mean I see it now, but where I'm from it's not a problem (it shouldn't be problem anywhere)... but I never really saw it as a problem.
  • Religious beliefs:
    • If I classify myself... I guess I'm agnostic. Really, I'm just unaffiliated with any religion but I don't really think I'm atheist. Honestly, I don't even find the need to classify myself in that way.
  • Political beliefs:
    • My parents are both conservative. My dad is further conservative than my mom, but they are both pretty moderate. I grew up with conservative economic thinking and more of a socially liberal background. Today, I think of myself as a Libertarian. 
  • Access to cultural power:
    • Well because I'm a white girl who has money and is in college, I feel like I do have pretty good access to cultural power. It would be better if I was a boy, but thats just not the case... I don't think. I'm not really stereotyped in bad ways unless I decide to get offended when you tell me to put on my Uggs and get a Starbucks.
Audience
  • My Audience:
    • They will primarily consist of college athletes, college students, and colleges themselves. So this will be younger people from all over the world who play sports at a collegiate level.
  • Position:
    • I believe the position of my audience will be mixed. I know that a lot of them will believe that they should get paid, but other college students, the schools, and non athletes don't believe they should be paid. College students are more liberal than conservative, so they are more about distributing the wealth and not giving it all to one person. I think that because of that narrative, people will agree that student athletes don't deserve to get paid. I am going to talk about why paying college athletes isn't necessary and why they should be appreciative of what they already get.
  • Reactions:
    • I would believe that the reactions will be mixed. I really think that for the most part, only athletes believe that they should be paid at a collegiate level, so only they will disagree with my argument, but hopefully I can persuade them. Because athletes don't currently get paid, I believe that it is safe to assume that the schools and the non athletes will like my stance and agree with me.
  • Relating to my audience:
    • Well I think that as a college student, I will be able to relate to other college students pretty well. I was also planning on hopefully finding student athletes at the school and having them maybe explain why they don't feel like they should be paid. 
  • Target Audience:
    • I know a couple of kids in some of my classes who are student athletes and I think that this is something that affects them. I think that it could take me a bit to convince them that they shouldn't have to be paid, but I don't think it will be too hard. Also, I think that other college students (my friends), will agree with my arguments. 

Purpose and Message
  • What I want to accomplish:
    • After I post this video, I really want students and athletes to think twice about asking to be paid for playing a sport for their school. Like yes, you bring in a crap ton of money for the school, but you already get so many perks and you're here for school, but most of the time, your grades are terrible. I want them to realize that if the school paid the athletes, the school would have less money to give in scholarships to the brilliant kids who are the future, the kids who are our tomorrow. 
    • I want my audience to really understand why student athletes don't need to get paid and what the money is doing for other kids at the school. I want athletes and non athletes to respect the choices of the university to allocate the money to people who really need it, not pay kids to play a game when they already go to the school for next to nothing and sometimes for free.
    • I want student athletes to consider the other people at the school and realize that it isn't all about them and that they are bringing a lot to the school, but the school is already giving so much back to them. 
    • After watching my video, I want my audience to believe that paying student athletes is a waste of money and is ridiculous. That money goes to bettering their education (which they are technically here for), and for scholarships to bring in intelligent kids who don't have enough money for school.
  • What still needs to be accomplished:
    • I want to explain what college athletes want (to get paid), but I want to focus on what they already get (tuition, meal plan, clothing, housing, etc).  I also want to somewhat talk about their points for paying them just so people know what I'm disagreeing with.
    • The athletes that are saying they deserve to be paid need to be reminded that they are already getting so much, and they don't have that "rough" of a life.
    • I need to present a few perspectives, so why student athletes need to be paid (from point of view of an athlete), why student athletes don't need to be paid, from the point of an athlete, from the views of a school, and from the views of non athlete students. 
    • For people I'm going to just focus on students, student athletes, and colleges in general.
    • I still need to get interviews, or find interviews online. I need to see what student athletes get what perks, how much they want to get paid, if any schools pay their athletes, and where that money would come from.

Genre
  • Genre: 
    • I will be making a video essay for this project.
  • Audience Expectations: 
    • When making a video essay, I know my audience will want to be entertained. So I know I will have to have a lot of different video clips, me as a main speaker/host, engaging music and cool video effects.
  • My history:
    • I have made a couple of videos before but they weren't very professional. I know I will have to put a lot more effort into this video, but I feel like I'm tech savvy enough to make it good and entertaining to watch!
  • Comfort Level:
    • This is definitely a reach for me. I think I'll be good on camera, I just need to figure out a way to make this interesting. I think I want to make it more funny than serious because I want to keep the tone light. I feel comfortable being on screen and making a video, I just need to figure out the direction in which I want this video to go. 
  • Most effective conventions:
    • I think that the two most effective conventions are video effects, and music/sounds. Obviously video effects are crucial because I'm making... a video. If I want my audience to watch my video, it has to have cool things to watch. Also, audio is a huge part in the video experience, if you have music that doesn't match the tone, it just feels awkward.

When

  • Historical Events:
    •  When it comes to the government, they really haven't gotten involved (that's a first) in college athletes pay. It has nothing to do with the federal government, laws, budgets, Cabinet members, or legal decisions. It is up to the colleges and the NCAA to decide to pay collegiate athletes. 
  • Media on the issue:
  • Major Counter Arguments:
    • The NCAA brings in millions from college athletics, and the athletes deserve a cut because without them, there would be no income. PBS
    • College athletes put their bodies on the line each time they go out to play. The Nation
    • College athletes spend an average of 43.3 hours a week devoted to their sport. It is a full time job. Money CNN


No comments:

Post a Comment