Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Local Revision: Passive and Active Voice


This blog post I will rearrange my verbs again but into the following categories; Active (specific), Active (general), and Passive.

Active (Specific)
firing
maintain
blew
melt
boosting
decriminalize
Active (General)
circling
waking
sending
talking
talking
wanted
came
looking
voted
started
come
passed
legalized
started
made
becoming
end
feel
took
were
able
grow
buy
were
change
bring
were
expected
brought
sales
used
fun
help
were
want
become
smell
went
made
became
was
come
purchase
was
born
gives
increases
smoke
purchase
grow
brings
changes
receives
creates
legalization
decriminalization
used
fund
used
going
brings
brings
provides
affects
use
accident
causes
increases
adventure
adventure
sets
causing
turn
light
watch
starts
warm
turns
wearing
wearing
feel
feel
breathed
taste
wake
go
watch
come
know
find
has
passed
signs
regulate
makes
opening
was
bring
funding
brings
smoking
see
brings
accident
Passive
*none*


McPhee, Nic. "Editing a Paper" 01/26/2008 via Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.0 Generic

1) After splitting up these verbs I found that I had no "passive" verbs, but a majority of my verbs were "active general". I learned that all of the verbs in my draft so far are very general, but I can use specific verbs to help the reader understand what is going on more than just using adverbs or adjectives. By using more specific verbs, I can make my writing more concise as well as giving the reader a better explanation, while making my QRG easier to read.

2) Based on the analysis above, I have decided that I really need to replace my general verbs with specific verbs to make my QRG more interesting and better over all. If I put more descriptive verbs in place, my writing will be more interesting and I won't have to write as much. Also, if a QRG is too boring or vague, the reader will want to cease reading and then I have failed my purpose for writing this QRG. I want to inform and entertain my audience so they can actually become interested in the legalization of marijuana in Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment